Friday, July 18, 2008

Photographic evidence

Photographic evidence: dad has been dressing Elise. Elise loves her Fredbird mobile: not seen here in picture.
Photographic evidence: different outfit than in first picture, notice dry milk on face and shirt. Photographic evidence: notice different outfit and no dried milk on face. I felt Elise is at the age where she can start making her own decisions, good or bad. I let her have a little chewing tobacco, so here she is with a lip full.
This was her athletic cup she had to wear on her head to protect her IV dressing. Notice it is not on her head, along with her IV. Elise has picked up quite the drinking habit. Here is the photographic evidence. Like many drinkers she shows a lack of concern for others, leaving her empties for someone else to clean up. Elise is growing stronger, her pecs are starting to bust out of her outfits. Photographic evidence: socks are just as good as real mittens. We get to do all kinds of crazy stuff when mom's not around! Elise has been doing pretty well, despite dad being alone with her. Kristin left Thursday afternoon with AG and Jane. Elise has done well on lowering her oxygen. Her liter flow is down to 5 from 3 (45% oxygen). We were feeding her every 3 hours at 90 ml. She was taking up to an hour to eat and longer to settle down afterwards, giving us very little time to do anything else all day. I made the decision to go back to four hour feeds at 130 cc. So far she's eaten the full amount four times and is keeping it down really well. She doesn't eat well for the nurses at night, and that's what is keeping us from meeting her caloric goal. She is a great sleeper at night and difficult to wake for feeds. If she continues to do well, I may start feeding her 140 cc per feeding. Elise is taking her three medications in some milk at the beginning of feedings, instead of straight through a syringe in her mouth. She's liking that much better. Elise's IV got pulled and they aren't going to replace it as long as she is eating as well as she is currently. I'm trying to prepare for my boards when I can, between feedings. Kristin said her coworkers were very receptive of her return. They are really kind and sincere people. They gave her a welcome-back cake. Kristin didn't think I would change her clothes while she was gone. While I have done just that, I still don't believe that babies need separate clothes for nighttime, like they need special pajamas to lay there and sleep. Whatever. So I'll be here until Tuesday, and Kristin will be back on Monday. Love you guys,
Jason

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have appreciated Kristin's blogs, but it is good to hear your viewpoint again, too. Sounds like things are going well. I'm glad that feeding tube is out. Maybe that will help the whole eating & keeping it down situation.

Thanks for the good and CUTE pictures.

Love to all three,
Grandma Mary

Anonymous said...

I knew you'd be a great dad!!! And, it's wonderful seeing pictures of Elise looking so cute!!!
Hang in there dad, she'll be 18 years old and going off to college before you know it!!
Love you guys!
Kathy, Mike, Sean, & Traci

Unknown said...

Hang in there Jason. We love you, too.

Hope the board preperations go well.

uncle Frank