Monday, June 23, 2008

8 weeks old

Chubby Cheeks Elise snoozing after her bath.
Elise with Grandma Gail. Elise with Grandpa Drennan.
Hello everyone,
Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I got my days mixed up. They all kinda run together after doing this for 8 weeks. Elise has been steadily improving over the weekend. The doctors have made very few changes with her. They decreased her oxygen flow from 5liters to 4 liters, keeping her FI02 at 35%. All of her meds and feedings remain the same. Right now the doctors want her to gain weight, since she has been hovering right around 4.6kg(10lb 2oz) over the last few days. They are happy to see that she is only vomiting once to twice a day, with no vomiting every once in awhile.
OT evaluated her today for bottle feeds, and speech is going to see her tomorrow for the same thing. They won't let me start to breast or bottle feed until her O2 flow is 3 liters or less. So we still have a few days before that will happen.
Her Dad, Grandpa Drennan and Grandma Gail left yesterday evening, so I'm officially by myself in St. Louis. I have been riding my bike back and forth from the Ronald McDonald house everyday since last week, and got to use my headlight last night! It's a really short ride to and from. In fact, a van left the house this morning at the same time I did, and we both arrived at the parking garage at the same time, even though we took different routes. So far I've been lucky about not riding in the rain, but I'm sure I'll have my chance.
We have been trying to find different ways to add stimulation, so Elise doesn't get bored staring at her Fredbird mobile. So, as you can see in the picture she got to try a swing today, and really seemed to enjoy it. Other than that I'm trying to get her used to being held again since she went almost 2 weeks without.
I hope all is well for everyone. I will post again on Wed.
Kristin

4 comments:

Jenny said...

8 weeks already??? I know for the two of you it feels all of 8 weeks. Before you know it, she will be turning one. Elise looks great and I am glad that she is under fantastic care. Keep those pictures coming! She is a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! She is really starting to look older .... it's hard to believe she is already 8 weeks old. Sounds like she is making steady improvement. What a long road it has been ..... hang in there mom and dad!

Love,
Christy, Shad & Connor

Anonymous said...

Sounding better all the time! I know it is hard to be patient. Thanks for the update and the pictures. Glad Jason, Gary & Gail got to spend some time with you and Elise--especially Jason. I know this is hard for him to be in one town & you two in another.

We all love you and are rooting for all three of you.
Love, Grandma Mary

G-Barb said...

Kristin, Jason and Elise I know it has been hard, but you will be home soon. Elise has two wonderful and loving parents and great family support. We have you in our prayers and can't wait to meet Elise, she is so cute. I have really enjoyed the pictures and keeping up with her progress. Take care!
Love Barb