Tuesday, May 11, 2010

week 3 of feeding program

Again, sorry I forgot the blog last night.  This feeding program is sucking everything out of me right now.  It is as hard as I thought it would be and then some.  The first week, Elise cried constantly when the therapists tried to feed her.  Turning around to me the whole time.  So, after much debate we decided to go ahead and let me start feeding early.  Typically the therapists feed until the 3rd week, and then start to slowly introduce the parents to feeding.  But since Elise wasn't being productive with the therapists, we decided to give me feeding her a chance.  Since I have been practicing the techniques with our other therapist since Sept, it has been going pretty well.  The therapists say that I know more than most parents do at the end of the four weeks.  So, week two went much better than week one.  But it has still been really hard.  It's impossible for me to explain why this program is so hard on me.  But basically I battle with Elise five meals a day, everyday.  Some days she eats well, but most days she throws toys at me, knocks food on the floor, and cries until she throws up.  After Sunday I was ready to give up.  I had enough of the constant battles and crying, but the therapists encouraged me to keep going and reassured me that it would get better.  She really has come a long way since the first week.  The first week she averaged 1 ounce of pureed food, and 1/2 ounce of milk with each feeding.  And this week she is averaging 2.5 ounces of puree and 1 ounce of milk with each feeding.  She is getting to eat pureed pizza, lasagna, and grilled cheese.  Her favorites are the pizza and lasagna.  We will be done with the program Thursday next week, but I will still have to continue to keep her feeding schedule the same everyday indefinitely.  Which stresses me out and makes me nervous that I won't be able to do it.  But, if it does get easier like they tell me then we should be ok.  It has been truly amazing to watch her learn to eat and drink from a straw.  Her therapists are so impressed with how far she has come is such a short time, and I am too.  Grandma Marcie is coming to town in a couple weeks, and we are really excited.  Our life has been consumed with eating lately, so we haven't been able to get out and do much, and haven't taken any pictures.  I'll write on my calender when the next blog is, so I don't miss it again.  Hope you all have a great week.  Love you all. Kristin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay strong - I can only imagine how difficult this is for all of you. Just remember that all the effort is worth it! I really can understand how you're feeling - you just want your baby to be happy and healthy & you don't want your baby to be crying and upset. I feel for you and wish there was some way to comfort you. It's difficult, but try to latch on to the positive things that happen - that will make the negatives easier to handle. We love you all very much and are praying that this will be successful - preferably quickly!!!!
Love you guys!
Kathy, Mike, Sean, & Traci

Anonymous said...

Kristin,
You're doing a great job. I think I speak for everyone, not many moms could have made this kind of progress. I know you don't need my advice, but I'm recommending Talayna's pizza for her upcoming feedings. :)
Uncle Don

Anonymous said...

You hang in there! This blog means so much to Leslie and I. You and Jason are amazing parents and you will get through this! Your wills are strong and you are very smart cookies. We check in as often as we can and cheer this sweet baby on to victory. She's come to far to stop now. I know she will achieve with you and Jason there to love and support her all the way.

Love,
Leslie and Joel