Last night Elise had an interesting time. She redeveloped some of the pneumothorax she had on the right side (Her lung partially collapsed). Fortunately this was not reflected in her oxygen saturation or PaO2. Regardless they pulled the chest tube they had and reinserted a new one through the same hole into a different location. The chest x-ray showed good placement of the tube and reexpansion of the lung. The left chest tube is not pulling anything off now, but we'll keep it in place as she makes transitions. The great news is that her blood pressure and PaO2 remain very good, and have been that way long enough to begin weaning support. First thing to go today was the vecuronium, her paralytic. It is renally excreted and her kidneys are working really well, so she has already started moving her tongue and limbs. We are being cautious as to not get her agitated, so her sedation (versed) will be dosed higher if needed. We began to simultaneously change some of her vent settings and reduce one of her blood pressure medications (epinephrine). We are alternating lowering her respiratory rate (number of breaths per minute) supplied by the ventilator and her pressure control. The physics of lowering these parameters will allow her heart to fill more before each pump so that she will be able to maintain a higher blood pressure. Today we slowly are weaning her epinephrine drip by .01 every hour as long as her mean arterial pressure (blood pressure) remains above 70. So far she has come down from .3 to .19. We have reduced her respiratory rate from 60 to 54, and her PC above PEEP to 22. All of these changes are small, but significant. She is maintaining her numbers with decreased support. We want to be very conservative and let her work through this. We are excited to get to talk about removing the epinephrine completely, then weaning the dobutamine, and maybe getting some breast milk in the next few days! The other benefit of decreasing her medications is that more fluid volume is freed up to give more TPN (nutrition). They have her restricted as to how much water they want her to have daily so she doesn't swell and the great number of medications she is currently on take up most of that amount. We have no results yet on all her viral cultures that were drawn yesterday. These won't likely change treatment plan, so we are patiently waiting. We may be trying new IV access tomorrow by PICC line, as the IV in her umbilical artery is starting to give us trouble. We are very happy with what we are seeing today, we feel more comfortable leaving her to get food and sleep. We really appreciate all the support we are receiving from all of you. It is difficult and time consuming for us to call all of you, but we appreciate and read all of your comments left below. If you have had trouble adding comments in the past, try again because I have changed some settings. Kristin is still doing great and looking good. We love you all.
-Jason
12 comments:
Jason, Kristin & Elise, Yahoo for the small and significant positives. Thank you for keeping us updated. Sam & Jane
Great summary, Jason! Hate to tell you it took until now for me to figure out how to use a blog.
We are all still praying. thinking about you. Tell Kristin and Elise we love them.
uncle Frank
5/3/08 Jayson, I’ve really enjoyed reading your post re: Elise’s care and treatment. Her progress is very encouraging. It’s been a long time (1986) since I’ve worked as an NICU transport therapist but I’m very impressed with what you know. Your knowledge of fluid management and understanding that decreasing ventilator support will increase venous return to the heart is impressive. I know you’re a medical student but even medically trained workers have trouble understanding the complexity of caring for critical newborns (they are not little adults, they have their own special needs). I know you’re going to be a great physician and if you ever change you mind about ER medicine, you might want to consider neonatology! You and Kristen keep giving Elise love and we’ll continue to pray and thank God for the healing that has taken place and what is to come.
Don
Thank you so much for your daily updates on Elise. I have pretty much left your blog up on my computer screen and refresh it often hoping to see another update full of positives. To see a picture of Kristin's smiling face today was so nice and to see her experiencing the joy of brand new motherhood is refreshing. We have been praying for the two of you through all of this as well. Sending hugs your way.
I had tried to leave comment before & failed, so had E-mailed instead. I really appreciate the blog info & pictures. Am so happy about the progress that Elise is making. The comments made about your (Jason's) knowledge about what is going on was great, too. Kristin you look good. I know the Lord is giving you strength and will continue to. Love you all so much. Many, many prayers are being said and people are asking me every day about Elise.
Love, Grandma Mary
Thank you for the daily updates on Elise. We anxiously read hoping for any small improvements. We are very proud of you both and look forward to meeting our new Great Grandaughter. Our love and prayers are with you.
Grandpa & Sandy
I am so happy that Elise is doing so good now. There are many many people praying for your guys! I am looking forward to getting to see the new precious bundle! And, I too am impressed with your medical knowledge, Jason.... I know you're way over my head! Keep it up though. I know there was many a time that I wish I had known a lot more about what was going on with Sean and Traci after their accident! Anyway, keep up the good work, Elise. We can't wait to meet you!
Kathy, Mike, Sean, & Traci
Jason, thank you for posting such detailed information on Elise's condition. It is comforting to know in detail what is going on. Kristin, you look wonderful .... your smile says it all. Elise, you are a very lucky little girl. You have parents who love you more than words can say.
I am so proud of you for your perserverence and positive attitude during this difficult time. It is not easy when the birth of your child does not go as planned. But you are taking it all in stride and doing a wonderful job of making sure that your little girl is receiving the best care possible. What wonderful parents you are.
We are thinking about you all the time. I just can't wait to hold my sweet little niece!
Love,
Auntie Christy (and Shad and Connor too!)
Yea for baby Elise! The body is a wonderful fighting machine. You'll make a wonderful Emergency Physician with all of your knowledge. No smart remarks about you being a Neonatologist accepted!
So happy for all of you and so thankful to God for her progress. The Haneys are continuing to pray for each of you.
We are thinking of you and checking this blog every day for more news. What a great way to keep everyone updated. Thank you so much for providing this for all of us. Our thoughts and prayers are with you two and that beautiful new little girl. She's such a great fighter and the love and support you're giving her and eachother just goes to show what wonderful parents you are. Love to you all!
Christi (in Liberty)
we love you guys.
Jane, give us a daily update via phone. Went to Mass tonight and she was our major prayer. We have people praying all over the country.
Love,
Great Aunt Eva
Kristin, Jason and Elise,
We are so happy for all of the daily progress!! I can't imagine the relief you all are feeling. We are still thinking about you daily and hopeful and anxious to hear more good news each and everyday. She is just the most beautiful chub-a-line I have ever seen! My theory has always been the chunkier the cuter :) All at work are asking about her daily too. When you get a chance, all of us at work have something for you guys, but I need someone to deliver it to you. I can send it with your parents if I can get it to them but I don't want to mail it because I don't want to take the chance of it getting lost. Take care and we love you and can't wait to meet you Elise! Tessa and Jason
Post a Comment