
Elise getting some peaceful rest today.

Proud mama and baby. Elise got poked again, well five times, in a second attempt for a PICC line. It was unsuccessful, but she did get a badass 80s trim; if we're careful to grow it out just right she'll be sportin' the mullet.

What's missing in this picture? Well, one pump, and the lit screen on her epinephrine.

Proof of rest: I told you Kristin is getting rest.
Another great day for Elise. Today she is epinephrine (adrenaline) free and making enough on her own. Her other two blood pressure medications, dopamine and dobutamine, are alternately being weaned hourly as her mean arterial pressure stays above 65. Our progress? Her dopamine has gone from 20 mcg/kg/min to 12.5. The dobutamine drip has been decreased from 15 mcg/kg/min to 10. She has tolerated all of this so well. We are also weaning her respiratory support. We began today at 100% O2, and are currently running at 88%. Her respiratory rate has been lowered in order to synchronize with her efforts. In other words, we are slowing down the ventilator to a more natural rate so that she can begin to breath on her own. This doesn't mean that the tube will come out yet, just that her diaphragm will be doing more and more work. Her rate setting began at 60 today and is now down to 38 (SIMV), letting her breath above that at a PC above PEEP at 21. The 21 is her mean airway pressure that we are trying to reduce as well. Babies normally are around 14 at her age. This will all improve with time. With these new settings she is still having PaO2s of 250-300. On another subject she has been servin' up some real hot ones. You know, some roasters, rug burners, and turd trumpets. So her bowels have been working great, and she was given a nasogastric tube. This is a tube through her nose into her stomach for feedings. After Gaila and Debbie, two of our favorite nurses, were unsuccessful in establishing a PICC line (IV access) they gave her a little reward in some of her mother's colostrum. She can't tell us "thanks" but I think she spoke through the other end. They pulled the peripheral IV from her hand as she was having some swelling in that arm. It wasn't being used for any medication administration. Currently all medications are running in her umbilical vein catheter, and blood draws are being taken from the umbilical artery catheter. There is still the need to establish other access, but we are happy as we sit now.
What does the future hold? We will further reduce her FiO2 (fraction oxygen inhaled), work on taking her completely off pressors (dobutamine and dopamine), establish a weaning schedule for her steroids (hydrocortisone), and see how she tolerates the milk, currently at 2 ml/hr. This all won't happen tomorrow, necessarily, but is coming soon. More distant future will have her coming off the inhaled Flolan and weaning off the inhaled nitric oxide. She is still receiving the versed and fentanyl (sedation and pain), ampicillin and gentamicin (antibiotics), and nutrition (TPN). She has been moving around for us, and trying to show her eyes when Kristin talks to her. She really wants to see her mom! We are really happy with the progress and were able to get away to the adjacent Forest Park to enjoy the beautiful afternoon. I'm even thinking about checking out their Beer Fest this weekend. We are still staying at Ronald McDonald house on Pine, about 6 blocks from the hospital, and that is a true gift. Thanks for all the support. Elise really wants to meet all of you, Kristin has been telling her about all her crazy cousins. Keep the comments coming, we read them daily. Expect updates between 5 and 6 PM and don't worry about checking at other times. We love you all,
Jason
12 comments:
GOD BLESS THIS LITTLE BABY. JASON AND KRISTIN, YOU HAVE SO MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD TO IN YOUR FUTURE. WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY DAILY. KRISTIN, IF THE TIME COMES THAT YOUR NEED SUPPORT, I WILL GIVE YOU AS MUCH OF MY P.T.O. TIME THAT YOU NEED. I KNOW THAT THIS LITTLE SECRETARY MAKES NOTHING COMPARED TO THE GREAT NURSE, BUT EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS.
KEEP YOUR HEADS UP AND SMILE OFTEN, LOVE AND GOD BLESS...JIM
Great news for all and we're glad that you are giving yourselves some time -- at the park, etc. Thank you for your continued updates, it makes us feel connected. Sam & Jane
Hey guys. I, for one, love the badass 80's do. She looks better and better in every new picture, and I'm glad she's making turds.
Kristin, you look great! I'm glad you're sleeping and pumping away. Keep having fun and relaxation in the park. And, by the way Jason, if you needed beer I could have sent you some! Take care, all 3 of you.
Love...Burrell
Hey guys. I, for one, love the badass do. She looks better and better in every new picture. Kristin, you look great. I'm you're getting sleep and pumping away. Jason, I hope you had a beer, and I hope it was cold. There better be some Radiohead on Elise's play list! Love you guys, and take care...
Burrell
Yeah, so I thought my first comment didn't work, but hey! look at that, it did! So you get 3!
Give Elise a big kiss for me!
Jen
Hey Kristin and Jason,
Thank God for progress.I continue to pray for baby Elise, Love, Lisette
Just want you to know, your in our thoughts and prayers and everyone at Skaggs is thinking about you! I am so glad Miss Elise is improving! We are all very thankful for the postings!
Kim
hey guys! of course i would miss your call yesterday of all times for my phone to be dead!! it was so great hearing your voice at peace though kristin and sounded so relieved! I was ecstatic to hear and read all the good news too. Thank you for keeping all the updates on the blog. And all the pics! she looks more beautiful everyday and any body that damn cute could pull off anything, including a mullet if need be! lol. ;) love ya and keep up the good Faith! *Tess
Kristin, Jason and baby Elise, your GPA-MoKan family wants you to know that you are in our thoughts. Keep up the great recovery Elise and much love to all of you!
Shannon, Noisy Bucket, Purple and Lucky ;)
Kristen and Jason, Elise is BEAUTIFUL! I love those chubby checks and hair (what color is that exactly?) I emailed Jen today to find out how everything went and she sent me to the blog. We are praying for you all. If you need anything (anything at all), please let me know.
Elise is a beautiful baby.I'm glad her condition is moving in a positive direction.
I am so glad to hear that you both got to enjoy some of the beautiful sunny warm weather yesterday. Through your posts I am learning all kinds of new words and medical terms. I am so grateful however that you are giving the "in other words" description so I am able to follow it all. :)I love all of the pictures. Jaidyn is usually on my lap looking along with me and you can just imagine the questions that she asks. She has already made a card for Elise. It is so sweet. We continue to pray for your family and trust that God will continue to bless your family through this strong little girl. Hope to talk to you soon.
Love,
Jenny
Post a Comment