Friday, May 9, 2008

Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

Look at that bright-eyed baby being really held by her momma for the first time!
Elise and I got our first daddy-daughter bonding time. I've never got to hold her until today! She only cried while Kristin was taking this picture; she quickly figured out hanging with dad was okay.
Yeah, no tube.
Here's the vent being bored. Poor ventilator, you're going to have to find someone else to breath for.
Kristin and I awoke to a phone call at 6:30 this morning; Elise had enough of her ET tube, so she pulled it out. Immediately this was quite concerning for us, but it turned out she didn't need it anymore. I guess she's just eager to meet you all.
Now realize, babies often get tired from the work of breathing when they self-extubate and need reintubation, however, she is 10 hours and counting and doing great. She did have trouble at first, but they gave her support and sedation and she worked it out. She is now being maintain with humidified 100% oxygen with 20 ppm of nitric via nasal cannula. She still has her NG tube down and is getting breast milk at 16 cc/hr. Elise got to use a pacifier for the first time today, and she was doing the Maggie Simpson with it. They are going to start weaning the oxygen and then the nitric, but being extubated is a huge step and she breathing quite normally at about 60-75 minute. It feels to us like she is trying to do her part to get home with her mom, dad, and doggies sooner. Her fentanyl and versed were further weaned to 1 and 0.2 respectively and she has been quite awake, checking out mom and dad. I cried today and she looked at me and I felt like I finally had my baby. I fear any further setbacks, but she seems so strong with her breathing. She also earned a chest tube removal as her R pneumothorax has resolved. Her chest x-rays are looking better and better and she has such a good cough that she really clearing her airway well. She is still getting Lasix, but is looking like she needs less diruesis. Dr. Downey is weaning down her steroids, which will be off on Monday. Her labs have been looking great, for those interested, her last ABG was 7.41/51/90/36. They were previously concerned with her albumen levels, a protein that maintains fluid in the blood vessels instead of causing edema. Today her albumen was excellent as a result of all the breast milk she has had. We couldn't be happier with today's progress and all the staff has been happy to see her success. Enjoy the pictures, they are good enough size to save and print. Love you all,
Jason

17 comments:

Steph said...

Not sure where I came across the link to your blog, but I have been following it since shortly after baby Elise was born. My son who is now almost 4 had PPHN at birth, spent 28 days in the NICU, 8 of those were on ECMO. To see him now, you would never believe it. I was soooo happy for you all to see those pics of that bright eyed baby with NO vent being snuggled!
Best wishes to you all, and prayers being sent from Indiana.
Stephanie

Kim Unruh said...

YEAH! We are so excited! We all frequently check the blog, and someone just yelled Elise is extubated and doing great! We will keep you in our prayers. Hang in there!

Kim Unruh
Skaggs Hospital

Anonymous said...

Praising the Lord and crying, too. And the pictures are great!

Love you lots,
Grandma Mary

Karol said...

What a beautiful little angel. I have been following Elise's progress since "Grandma Mary" first emailed the prayer request. God has big plans for this little girl and she is proving that she is up to the task.
May this Mother's Day bring more blessings to your family!
Karol (Adkison) Evans
P.S. Congratulations Grandpa Gary!!!

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that everything is going so well. This should make for a good weekend. Talk to you soon. Leslie

Anonymous said...

Yippee yippee hooray hooray!!! I can imagine how you felt at 6:30 getting that phone call - and sooooo glad it was good news!!!
We are so happy for you guys!!!
Elise must have wanted to give you an early Mother's Day gift Kristin! I'd say it's a pretty good 1st Mother's Day gift!
Love you guys!
Kathy, Mike, Sean & Traci

Jenny said...

I am sure Elise enjoyed the Mommy and Daddy time as much as the two of you. She is sooo cute and not everyone pulls off a mohawk the way she does. So glad to see that Elise is doing great. Thanks for all of the updates throughout the week and keep those pictures coming!

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like it's time for that formal dinner celebration and first glass of wine!

We love you guys! Can't wait to see all of you again!

Grandma Gail

Unknown said...

Hi you three,

No one likes to see a grown man cry. Especially an old grown man!!

THANK YOU, JESUS!!

Much love, uncle Frank

Acutely Amy said...

We're all doing a happy dance with this good news! Enjoy your vino and know that you are in our prayers.
Mark and Amy Plott

Anonymous said...

Thank You Lord..She is an angel..God bless both of you..You three are in my thoughts..Welcome to being a family!!!! Amy Frandsen/Skaggs/Nursefinders

Anonymous said...

What an answer to prayer! I was so excited to see the pictures and read all the progress Elise has made! What a great early Mother's Day present for Kristin! Love, Amy T.

Anonymous said...

Keep it up baby Elise!!!
Hurry home!!

_John and Lea

Anonymous said...

Keep it baby Elise!!
Hurry Home!!

_John & Lea

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day, Kristin,

So glad Elise is making so much progress. Grandpa Gary & Grandma Gail were just by here on the way to the class at St. John's. They want to be ready for Elise as soon as she gets home. It was hard not to buy cute clothes for her at yard sales yesterday, but know she already has enough.

Lots of prayers for all of you still going up.

Love,
Grandma Mary

Unknown said...

Praise God!!! I got so emotional and chills reading the good news!! You go girl Elise! Get that stuff off and out so you can come home and everyone can meet you!! Kristin, I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day, and sounds like its time for that glass of wine to celebrate! I just know everything is going to be just great and we will see her soon! I know Macy, Lou-Lou, Peanut and Mable are wondering when the heck they get to meet their baby sister too :) We love you and now I can do the Elise happy dance since I did the rain dance and the baby dance so good :) Love ya-Tess and Jason

KHaney said...

Yea!!!

I guess I'm like my Dad, even a crusty ol' ER doc can cry when a baby looks that good.

So happy!!

Love, Karen