Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mr. Mom

What is going through that head as she's resting so peacefully? Elise got a volumizer shampoo job last night for that full look. I'm getting to play Mr. Mom today as Kristin's been down with a little viral illness (we hope). They have done absolutely nothing new today with Elise. She's been pukey lately, throwing up anything she doesn't care for, including a sodium solution for correction, some vitamins, morphine, milk fortifier. We think it was the large amount of sodium in the solution that upset her stomach, so we give that slowly now. She also gets spurts of water through her nasal cannula as the water builds up in the humidifier. This gets her coughing, I think, to the point that she gags and spits up. They have made an extremely drawn-out wean schedule for her morphine and ativan that will take until 6/5 to complete. I think it is overly cautious making moves on one or the other every other day. The next move will be getting the morphine down to 0.1 mg every six to match the ativan. From there they will move the drugs to every 8, then 12 hours, then once daily. I'd rather her just throw it up every day and be done with the dope. She seems overly sedated to Kristin and I, but we're new to the baby scene. Elise got to meet Kristin's good college friend, Jenny, yesterday, and my classmate, Kyle, and his wife, Teresa, today. We had good visits with them all, including an entertaining session with Jaidyn and Addison, Jenny's girls, at dinner last night. Well, I'd better get back to taking care of my girls. Elise has learned some interesting things while I've been trying to study. Today she got to learn about dermatology and diabetes as I read to her. Love you all, Jason

1 comment:

Jenny said...

It was such an honor to meet beautiful Elise. I truly enjoyed getting to spend the evening with all of you. Thanks for being patient while eating dinner with a 3 and 2 year old. Good times are definitely ahead for both of you. :)