Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Momma I'm coming home

Grandma Jane holding Elise. Aunt Tiffany with Elise. (Kristin's friend) Aunt Kathy and Uncle Mike came to town to visit today too! Elise during one of her naps. Hi everyone! This should be our last post from St. Louis. We are scheduled to be transported back to St. John's NICU tomorrow at 8am. The only way the transport would be delayed or cancelled would be if the transport crew was called away to transport a sick baby. That's right, Elise isn't considered a priority patient anymore. She is now considered a "feeder/grower" in the NICU, which means she needs little support, and only has to master the art of feeding by mouth. Which sounds easy, but is very difficult for a baby who was so sick, and missed out on the initial breast feeding after birth. So it could take anywhere from 2-4 weeks for her to master this before they send her home. We are excited about being back home, but are still frustrated that she could be in the unit for another month. The NICU in Springfield is a great unit like the one here in St. Louis, but we won't have a private room, and the visiting rules are much stricter because of the size and layout of the unit. But again, we will be at home with our family and dogs. Elise has progressed slowly the last two days and regressed backwards on her feedings. We are still dealing with her vomiting and losing weight. So, they slowed her feedings back to being on for 3 hours and off for 1 hour. We gave her a break yesterday from trying to bottle feed and holding her hoping it would help decrease the vomiting, and it seemed to help. So today we started back with holding, and have gotten her to breast feed twice today, only vomiting after the second time. Jason went back home today to work another shift, and will stay there until Elise and I arrive tomorrow. The ambulance that she will ride back in will have her and another baby going back to St. John's with 2 nurses, 1 neonatal doctor, and the EMS crew. So, I will not be able to ride with her, but mom and I can follow the truck if we want to. We look forward to seeing you all once we return back home. Kristin

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhhhhh.....sigh of relief! I am SOOOOO excited to meet Elise!! And to see you again, Kristin and give you a big hug!! :) The girls will be so delighted to have their mommy and daddy home again too. I will call you on Friday when I am off and see if I can come visit you guys if you aren't too exhausted. Love ya and so happy for you and Elise's progress. Love, Tess

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is such wonderful news!! I am so happy that Elise is scheduled to come back to Springfield! I am sure that will be alot easier on mom and dad. Will you post tomorrow to let us know that you made it?

Love,
Christy, Shad and Connor

Anonymous said...

Welcome home. It will be such a relief to be back on home ground. Take it from me - sometimes the simplest things are the hardest. Trent (my oldest) had to learn how to eat when he was 2+ weeks old. Every small sip and swallow are huge victory. Hang in there. Soon, you'll be chasing her up and down the isles of the stores.
Take Care