This is a new hiking backpack we got last week. She LOVES it! It seems really comfortable for her, and Jason said it isn't too bad for him either.

Let's just say I'm ready for a boring week. Jason headed off to K.C. Tuesday and I thought I would just cruise through the rest of the week until he returned home this weekend. Well, Elise had other plans. I woke up Wed. am to find her sleeper soaked in her blood. Her central line had split open and was leaking! I started making phone calls immediately to her doctors in
STL and her pediatrician here in
Spfd, the ER and the
PICU.
STL said to go to the ER here and they would have someone in the hospital who would look at it and decide if it could be fixed. But everyone I talked to at the hospital here didn't know who that would be. I ended up taking her up to the
PICU where the general pediatric surgeon met us and told me due to where it was broken he couldn't fix it, and it would have to be pulled and replaced. So the nurses in the unit, luckily, were able to get and IV in Elise's foot so we could change the
Flolan over to a secure line, and I called Mom, and we headed to
STL not knowing what was going to happen. We arrived in the ER and a "IV nurse" walks in with a repair kit and fixes the line like it was nothing. She said this happens a lot with these certain lines and that they have to fix them almost on a daily basis. What a relief! Because changing out the line isn't as simple as it sounds. It requires Elise to be admitted to the hospital and have another surgical procedure. But our excitement was quickly shut down when one of the
lumens (ports) was clotted. Now stick with me you non-medical people. See, Elise's line has two access ports, or
lumens. It has this because her
Flolan cannot be mixed with any other solution and can't be stopped. So having the second lumen allows us to draw blood without stopping the
Flolan and give a second IV drug if
necassary. Like the IV antibiotics she gets when she gets a line infection. Where was I...... oh yeah the clotted lumen. So, they injected her clotted port with a special medicine that breaks up clots. We waited 2 hours to let it work, and then the IV nurse came back to try to access the line but was unable to. So they did a second injection, we waited an additional hour, and again no luck. It's now almost 9pm and they have to decide whether to admit Elise and continue to try and get the clot out. Or send us home and have me attempt to access the line myself. Longer story short, they decided to send us home and have me attempt to access the line. Mom and I finally left
STL at 10:30pm arriving in
Spfd at 1:30am. WHAT A DAY!! I was never able to access the second port so now she has a "dead port." Which means if/when she gets another line infection she will have to have the whole line pulled and replaced. Nothing like having something to look forward to, huh.
.
.
Other than that, the rest of the week went well. Jason came home Friday afternoon, we had a great weekend, and he left this evening to go back. So like I said at the beginning, I'm hoping for a boring week. I'll post again next Monday. Love you all. Kristin
.
3 comments:
Kristin, you definitely deserve a boring week! You continually amaze me with your ability to take everything in stride, and keep on going. You have had so much to deal with, and so many curve balls to catch. And, you just keep on going! You are the BEST mother, and I am in awe of you. Love you all, Grandma Marcie
Boy, Elise is just full of surprises! I bet your heart stopped for a second when you saw her bloody pajamas! I know mine would!! I'm so glad Elise is okay. Now, we must pray for no more line infections! Thinking of you...
Kari
Kristin,
How scarey!!! I'm glad that it something that was easily fixed. Sorry to hear about the dead lumen. Ms. Elise sure knows how to keep you and Jason on your toes. Sorry to hear that you guys are moving, but completely understand. Eventually school will be done and hopefully life will settle down a little bit.
Take care.
Amy
(P.S. I agree with 'Grandma Marcie' you are such a good Mommy, and you are amazing!) :~)
Post a Comment