Sunday, April 26, 2009

Happy 1st year

I had several different ideas for this week's blog. I thought about doing a type of year in review with pictures, but that would have been a lot of pictures. I thought about doing a birthday photo shoot, but she's had plenty of those lately. Then my Mom suggested a picture from each month. And I thought, perfect. So I picked my favorite photos of Elise through out her first year of life, and what a year it has been. She made a grand entrance waiting until 12:15 a.m on April 29th to meet us. Bright red hair and big feet. But no cry came from her, which started it all......
This was her first-day-of-life birthday. The doctors where surprised when she made it to day #2......
This is month #1. We were amazed she made it this far. We thought the worst was behind us, little did we know.....
Birthday #2 gave us her first smile.
By her 3th month birthday she was getting even cuter.
For her 4th month birthday, we were able to take her home, and she got to lay in her own crib for the first time!
She was really packing on the pounds by her 5th month birthday.
On her 6th month birthday, we found out that orange is not her best color.
She really started enjoying life around 7 months. Just happy all the time!
At 8 months she could fully sit up by herself, and began to follow and pet Mable.
By 9 months she had lost her NG tube and was requiring less oxygen.
And by ten months, no oxygen needed, freedom!
11 months gave us a close call with another line infection. But she remained a happy baby through it all.
So there you have it. Some of my favorite pictures of my favorite girl. It was difficult to look back at all the pictures. So many different emotions came flooding back. I haven't really sat down and looked at ALL the pictures we took. There are so many. And it's almost nauseating to go through all of them and think about everything Elise has gone through to make it to today. I've had several people ask me if the past year flew by. And honestly I can say, no, it didn't. This past year was the most heart-wrenching, joyous, upsetting, exhilarating, scary, horrible, wonderful year of our life. I still can't believe that Elise is still with us today. And I don't care if you want to thank God, or thank her doctors and nurses, or heck, even thank Elise for getting through this year. I'm just glad we are at this huge milestone for her to celebrate. It is truly an odd emotion I go through everyday feeling anxious about the impending doom of another line infection or her just getting sick, while feeling so much joy from seeing her improve everyday. I try to soak up as much of her good days, because I know bad days are looming ahead no matter what I do.
.
.
.
I again want to thank everyone who has followed our journey whether it was from day one of the pregnancy, day one of her life, or even if you just found out last week. I've never been able to keep a diary or journal. I've never been one for writing anything really. So, thank you all for staying with me each week. Knowing that you guys are with me has really helped me through this last year. I hope most of you continue to follow Elise's story through this next year. We have a lot to get through in this next year. And as much as I wish it will be smooth, I know there will be bumps in the road.
.
.
.
I hope you all have a great week. Elise's God mommy, Leslie, is coming into town this weekend with her husband Joel. They are going to get to meet Elise officially for the first time. We are SO excited. So, I should have some great pictures for next weeks blog. I love you all. Kristin

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Happy Birthday to the best little girl in the world!!! We are all so grateful that she is still with us and we believe that she will stay with us for a long long time. And, you better believe we will continue following the blog. With us being here in Omaha, it's pretty much our only way to keep up with the little angel! We wish we could be there to celebrate her birthday, but hopefully you and she understand that we cannot. Please give her a big squeeze and a bunch of kisses for us! Enjoy every day!!!
Love you guys!
Happy Birthday Elise!

Kathy, Mike, Sean, and Traci

Anonymous said...

Happy First Birthday Elise! I am so proud of you! Enjoy your cake! Keep growing stronger everyday Elise!
Love,
Kari R.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Elise. Happy 1st B-Day. You are so cute. You sure did prove a lot of people wrong. Keep up the good work.
Amy (SLCH NICU)

Tanya Leake said...

Happy Birthday Elise!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Elise! You are just adorable. I remember your playful greetings in the morning. I am so happy you have overcome so many obstacles. Keep up the strong work, mom and dad.

Happy First Birthday!!!

Debbie L(SLCH NICU)

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday Elise! I was so glad to spend some time with all of you guys last weekend. She is such a trooper, what a great baby! Hope she enjoyed her special day! Jaidyn and Addy are enjoying our new Elise picture on the fridge.

Amy C said...

Lil' Ms. Elise,
Happy, Happy Birthday. You are such a beautiful little girl. Even though the pictures don't show it, you are a scraper, fighter.
Kristen, I so feel your anxiety. 15 years later, I still am overwhelmed each time I walk into St. Louis Children's. A flood of emotions does not even touch it. You and Jason are absolutely wonderful parents. Take care, Amy

HouseofGreytStuff said...

YAY!!! Happy Birthday beautiful girl.

Shannon

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday precious little girl! I can't wait to see you at your birthday party Saturday! Everyone here at Truman Medical Center Lakewood in Lee's Summit thinks you're adorable! And of course, I agree. You are an amazing little girl, and your parents are pretty amazing, too. Love you all, Grandma Marcie

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Aunt Eva is bringing you the card we got you.

Piper, Patton and Ranger

sjstage said...

Happy Happy Birthday! We missed seeing you when we were in Springfield Easter week-end. You were all so busy! Congrats to all of you for your persistence, love, determination -- everything! Sam & Jane

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday to beautiful Elise!
You and your family are so strong and such an inspiration to all around you!
Keep fighting, keep praying and keep on loving!
Beth
SLCH NICU