Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Get Physical

Do you think she looks like her dad? Here is my 3-day-old picture.
Elise taking a nap with her bunny from Aunt Jane and Uncle Sam. Chillin' out in Grandma Marcie's outfit. Elise was feeling up to it, so I did some exercising and stretching with her. That feels good dad, I can take bigger breaths when you do that. Elise did pretty well today; not so up and down on her sats. I think she really needed that Lasix to get some fluid off her lungs. She's been hanging out in the 90s steadily today after getting Lasix every 12 hours, beginning yesterday morning. They converted her to oral Lasix today. Her sedation wean has got her taking Ativan 0.2 and Morphine 0.3 every six hours, alternating the two every three hours. She stills gets a small dose of hydrocortisone and some MV with iron all through her NG tube. Converting the Lasix to oral was the final step in allowing us to remove her umbilical artery catheter. She now no longer has any indwelling catheters! (A good note from an infectious disease standpoint.) We are holding on to the continuous breast milk feeds through her NG at a rate of 25 cc/hr. She is still breathing a little to quickly to tolerate a bolus feed. The bolus feed would be the same amount of food given over two hours with a one hour break. We gained some advice from friends at St. John's NICU, and it seems like it would be best to continue our stay here in St. Louis for a while. The continuity of care is important, and it is also very nice to have our private room. We also don't think she will be able to comfortably travel for a little while. Kristin and I are going to return to Springfield this Tuesday so I can work a shift at St. John's and then go back to St. Louis on Wednesday. This will give us a short break, allow us to see family and our doggies. We still aren't sure how long we will be here, a week or two is very possible. Even at that time she will go home on her hydrocortisone for a short while, and possibly Lasix and oxygen via a nasal cannula. We can't forget that her lung disease is substantial and that she will need time to grow out of it. Today she tolerated me doing some stretching with her, as she gets really stiff and I hope to expand her chest to improve her breathing. When I got finished with her, occupational therapy came in and worked on her further. Kristin and I enjoyed a nice walk to and through the zoo today and are going to have dinner with Uncle Don tonight. We feel pretty good about today and hope that we can stay on a level plain with her progress. Love you all, Jason

4 comments:

sjstage said...

Great news, Jason and glad that you got some time outdoors. Enjoy your dinner! I know Elise enjoyed her PT w/Dad and she's lucky that you know what you're doing! S&J

Anonymous said...

So glad things went better today. The ups & down are hard, I know. Everyone asks about "the baby" all the time, so I know they are praying. Lady at city hall asked when she learned that Gail is my dau-in-law. Hope you have a good trip home, even tho it is temporary. I'll be travelling to Omaha for Traci's graduation.

Hang in there. Yeah, Elise.
Love to all,
Grandma Mary

Anonymous said...

Elise,
You are beautiful. I’m glad we got to meet last night.
Uncle Don

Unknown said...

Hey guys! Looks like things are on the up-and up as they should be! The pictures are great, thanks for keeping us posted on her progress. She looks absolutely beautiful in her cute little outfits! If she only knew the wardrobe awaiting her at home huh?? :) She is beginning to look more like a grown up little infant instead of newborn now. I can't make up my mind who she exactly looks like. I need to see her in person so chop chop please :) XOXO -Tess